Our History

1881 – Local pioneer George Hall donates part of his selection for school site

1882 – 15 April, Menzies Creek State School No 2457 officially opens.

               Established at a cost of approximately £216. Miss Sarah A Collier appointed resident Head Teacher. 12 October there were 26 pupils in attendance

1886 – School closed for a period due to whooping cough outbreak

1887 – School operates part time only due to low enrolments

1900 - Head Teacher, Mr Alex Hampton walking 17 miles total each day to teach 9 students, track is impassable by horse

1901 – School closed from February to September due to low enrolments, then operates part time until 1909

1907 - Local church congregation moves their weekly meetings from the school to the newly completed St Cuthbert’s Church. The Church was built by ex-student, R. Cason on land donated by Mr W.Hermon

1911 – Attendances dropped dramatically due to “the teacher’s illness, an outbreak of measles and havoc caused by flood waters”

1914 – With enrolments of less than 20 students, school community donates over £57 to the War Relief Fund

1917 – School name changed to Aura State School, changed back to Menzies Creek in 1923

1926 – Major Victorian bushfires, school fencing and toilets destroyed

1934/35 – The Great Depression forces people out of the city, enrolments soar to over 40 students

1935 – 18th November, contractors ignite the school with a blow torch whilst stripping pained. School destroyed. Classes recommence the next day at St Cuthbert’s

1936 – School rebuild at a cost of £430, officially reopened 3 July

1950 – Adjoining land purchased and School residence built.

1953 – Electricity connected to school

1960 – 48 students enrolled, all accommodated in a single room

1960/61 – Infant room, office and lobby added to the school

1974 – Town water conneted

1982 – 107 students enrolled

1983 - A library was established

1990 – School residence demolished, Fire Refuge Building constructed, opened 3 August

1996/98 - $353,000 State Government Grant to replace 4 modular classrooms with 3 classroom wing and toilets, alterations to Admin and library through a $30,000 Rural School Grant

1998 – New relocatable arrived consisting of two classrooms. Community Co-operative Load taken for $40,000 to purchase 4 classrooms, a canteen and storerooms. After being craned into place much of the fit-out work done by parents. Loan fully paid back by the school community

2000 – Olympic torch is welcomed by school students as it passes through Menzies Creek

2001 – Additional classroom added to the three in the main wing

2007 – ‘Investing in Schools Grant’$139,500 – shade structures, air conditioning, staff facilities and upgrade of multi-purpose room

2009 – ‘National Schools Pride Grant’ $125,000 – compete refurbishment of Admin area, addition of reception entrance and multi media centre, extend staff facilities and painting of classrooms

2009 – ‘Building Education Revolution’ $2 million funding – 4 new classrooms, library and community rooms

2010/11 – Menzies Farm created, garden shed and straw bale seat built, chook shed extended Menzies Creek Primary ranked in the top 5 out of the 247 schools in the Eastern region.

2012 – New junior school and library completed School celebrates 130th birthday

 

9754 3695

©2019 by Menzies Creek Primary School. Proudly created with Wix.com